Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The time I've lost in wooing



The time I've lost in wooing
In watching and pursuing
The light that lies
In woman's eyes
Has been my heart's undoing
Tho' Wisdom oft has sought me
I scorn'd the lore she brought me
My only books
Were women's looks
And folly's all they taught me

Her smile when Beauty granted
I hung with gaze enchanted


Like him the Sprite
Whom maids by night
Oft meet in glen that's haunted
Like him, too, Beauty won me
But when the spell was on me
If once their ray
Was turn'd away
O! winds could not outrun me

And are those follies going?
And is my proud heart growing
Too cold or wise
For brillant eyes
Again to set it glowing?
No -- vain, alas! th' endeavour
From bonds so sweet to sever
Poor Wisdom's chance
Against a glance
Is now as weak as ever

No comments:

Popular Posts